Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Benjarong

I think there are a bunch of restaurants in Bangalore who claim to serve Thai food but I personally think they are no where close. Benjarong, however is different. Despite having difficulties trying to figure out if the servers and cooks here are from Thailand or the North East, I felt close at home. This place came highly recommended by our Thai masseuse (who is currently working in Bangalore).

Mian Khum
Mian Khum - this appetizer is on the house and it is literally a mouthful of flavors - sweet, savory, spicy and a hint of bitterness, very appetizing indeed. Ask the wait staff to show you how to prepare one, if you haven't already figured it out.

Pandan Chicken
Pandan Chicken - a crowd pleaser. The chicken is succulent and is mildly fragrant from the pandan leaves.

Som Tum
Som Tum - I love papaya salad but unfortunately, this one is not one of my favorite dishes here. The shredded papaya, which normally is tangy and crunchy, tasted a bit like cardboard even though the dressing was just right.

Thom Yam
Tom Yum Soup - I usually can't get enough of this even though drinking this soup periodically triggers my gastric problems but unfortunately (or fortunately), I thought this was a bit too sweet and was lacking the oomph from the real deal.

Red snapper in chili basil sauce
Red Snapper in Chili Basil Sauce - I can eat this everyday! Super spicy and bursting with flavors. Not the most reasonably priced dish you can get here, but it's worth every rupee. It totally brought me back to the beaches of Koh Phi Phi.

Green curry chicken
Green Curry Chicken - one must try green curry in a Thai restaurant to see how authentic the restaurant is and this one here hit the spot.

Pad thai
Last but not least, pad thai. It was slightly too sweet for my taste and a tad dry but beggars can't be choosers, so I'll probably end up ordering this again in my next visit.

Overall Ratings:
"A"'s: 8.5/10
Po's: 8/10

Would we return?
Yes.

Address:
1/3 Ulsoor Road, Ulsoor, Bangalore

Phone: 080 42066166

2 comments:

  1. Hey the Thai red curry and Pandan chicken are mouth watering at Aroy too. In JP nagar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Aroy, but I'll be sure to check it out now!

      Delete