Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cuite au Feu de Bois in Nice, France

My friends Hel and P-Em took us to this hole-in-the-wall in old Nice town. The food was a Nicoise specialty and the pancake-like bread was cooked in a wood oven. The bread is usually eaten alongside deep fried foods like fried stuffed zucchini flower, fried stuffed zucchini, fried battered sardines and fried minced pork.

I can't say I'm in love this food because to me, it was a bit bland and lacking some moisture and texture. The deep fried foods were warm but not crispy and I found myself searching for some sort of sauce to dip my fried foods in. Maybe I was just spoilt after spending the past 6 months in India, eating freshly fried pakoras with spicy chutneys.

DSC_4790

DSC_4807
Stuffed zucchini flower

DSC_4796

DSC_4795
Stuffed vegetables

DSC_4792

DSC_4791

DSC_4805
Pancake-like bread made in the wood oven.

DSC_4801

DSC_4797
Pissaladiere, a local "pizza" usually topped with sauteed caramelized onions and olives.

DSC_4794
Apple tart.

Rating: Worth trying

1 comment:

  1. nice captures of fried n crispy goodies, but at the end of the day inspite of all the bad rap that Indian food receives for not being subtle enough, no can deny the hearty taste it packs!...one has to miss it to really appreciate it!, and then the redolence of it all really hits you!

    ReplyDelete