Thursday, April 29, 2010

37 China Town

I've been doing some research for Chinese restaurants in Bangalore but I have yet to find a real Chinese restaurant and by real I meant Chinese food that Chinese people all over the world would eat. I have nothing against Indian-Chinese food but it's a different cuisine altogether. It's kinda like American Chinese; it's localized and is usually deep fried and then smothered in sauces, which could be tasty if you aren't craving for a real Chinese meal.

Here's a restaurant that was recommended by a friend of Papa V, who claimed "the food is really great!". Good (if you are starving) maybe, but "great" might be a bit exaggerated.

IMG_1749
Fried vegetarian wontons.

IMG_1750
Soy sauce pork, slightly spiced. You can't go to a Chinese restaurant without ordering pork. Here, the slivers are so thin you can hardly taste the meat but the seasoning is pretty tasty.

IMG_1751
Stir-fry bak choy and broccoli with garlic.

IMG_1752
Pieces of fish with a lot of sauce - so much that it was hard to tell if you were eating fish or chicken.

IMG_1755
Fried mai-fun (thin rice noodles). I guess if I have to come back here, I would order this dish. It tasted a bit like chow-mai-fun I had growing up in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

IMG_1757
Fried rice - looks plain and simple but it was actually quite tasty and goes well with the spicy soy sauce pork.

IMG_1759
Butterscotch ice cream. Are you startled by how fluorescent it looks? Yeah, I was too. Tasted very artificial and not a hint of butterscotch. Not recommended.

IMG_1746
The interior of the restaurant.

I'm determined to find a real Chinese restaurant in Bangalore. If there are authentic Korean and Thai restaurants in this city, I'm sure somewhere out there is a Chinese man or woman serving a plate of steamed pomfret or a bowl of wonton noodles.

Overall Ratings:
Po's: 5.5/10

Would we return?
Don't think so.

Address:
37Th Crescent Hotel,
37, Crescent Road,
High Grounds,
Bangalore
Phone: 080 40373737

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I really like your blog. Have you tried the following places:

    1) Kudla, Ramanshree Hotel -amazing Mangalorean fare
    2) Bangalore's Bistro, Brigade Road
    3)The Esplanade, Koramangala
    4)Asia in a Box, Koramangala

    You must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Swagata! I haven't tried any of these places but now I am always looking for new good places to eat!

    Keep the suggestions coming!

    ReplyDelete